You're Most Welcome

Welcome to The Masterpiece, we're simply canvases on which The Master does his art.

Tuesday, September 10

MISHAP

MISHAP
I woke up this morning late as usual, hurried straight to the kitchen as usual (stop thinking that, I brushed first)  to make breakfast. I woke up hungry, also as usual, probably because of the late night snack I had last night, still as usual. It's said that eating late at night 'll make you super hungry the following morning. It could also possibly be because I hardly slept, I was awake all night, causing trouble on twitter, gossiping with peeps on BBM and Whatsapp, uploading, tagging and commenting on pictures on Facebook, setting that P through night call and of course, creatively writing. Now you know why I woke up late, guess I come alive in the night time, but you don't know what my eyes beheld in the kitchen, it was unusual.

Oh what magnificence, what splendour, what beauty accosted me. The glory of scoring a loss time winner in FIFA 13, the satisfaction of thoroughly bashing a rival in PES 12, the job-well-done-ness of a successful hero at the end of a movie, the joy-like-a-river-lity of listening to a beautiful song, the fulfilment of finally getting admitted, and that grandeur of getting an A in physics were what I felt when I saw the cooler filled with boiled yam. The magnitude of happiness I felt in my soul was sublime, incomparable to the joy of my P clicking and the numerous likes I got for my smiley picture on Facebook last night. God bless mum, this was the perfect way to start a day. So I looked around for something to use in bringing down the mountain, because yam must always be accompanied on it's odyssey through the gastrointestinal tract with something like stew, sauce, ketchup, butter (eeeww), or egg. Yes, egg, my visual periphery caught sight of some comely fresh tomatoes and pepper. Capisce, how better can it get?

So, I set about frying some egg. Tomatoes, pepper and onions sliced and ready, frying pan set, eggs broken and beaten, then I encountered a little mischance, there was no oil. What?! This massive kitchen, no oil? (I later learned there was oil, but because I was a visitor in the kitchen, and it's massive like I said, I couldn't locate it). How was I going to fry egg without oil? I had gone too far to back out, couldn't waste all these labors for nothing, and I still haven't learned to eat raw tomatoes, onions and pepper, and drink curried raw egg, so I set out in search of oil. I wore a shirt, put on my hoodie to cover my roughness, and headed to a shop down the street. I asked them for the smallest measurement of oil, and bought it, thirty Naira.
All set, egg frying was initiated. A few sizzles after, it was ready, the best egg I've ever fried in my life (in Tpain's voice). I tasted it and it was out of this world, I hardly cook, but my cooking skill is legendary, and this was no exception. It was the kind of tasty food that 'll make one sell his birthright. I removed the tantalizing fried egg from the pan and heaped it on my plate, ready to spoil myself...

And then it happened, a mishap, just as I was basking in the euphoria of a major cutlery achievement.  I was piling yam from the cooler, using a fork to pick out the best, when I heard a crash. I looked for the source of the clangour, and on seeing it, my myocardium minimally infracted. There it was, my hard made meal scattered on the floor. I instantly felt very bad, my cheerful demeanour giving way to a sad gloom, as if I had lost someone dear. Actually, I had lost something dear, something I had suffered so hard to prepare, just as I was preparing to reap the fruit of my labour. It felt like losing a child one had struggled so hard to train in his prime. I felt weak, helpless, my breathing was so hard I feared a pulmonary embolism...

Well, the past is past and we can not change it, if we could, I'd have been more careful instead and saved my precious egg from waste. Since we still haven't been gifted with that ability, we just have to move on, and move on I did. I got a broom and parker and conducted a funeral for the departed breakfast. It still hurts me as I write this and I pray you won't experience such mishap in your life. Amen?


Thank you for reading.
Did you enjoy reading this?
Please share with a friend
Read more of my works
www.naijastories.com/author/clemency



Your comments are Welcomed and Highly Appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE A REPLY , it'll help us improve